Friday, June 1, 2012

Hospital, Surgery, and Recovery...

We had quite the unexpected week at the Bellamy house, yet through it all we were loved and cared for so well! We have the best church, family, and friends in the world... let me explain. On Thursday, I noticed Micah had an abscess on her bottom. I took her in on Friday, the doctor put her on an antibiotic and we were good to go. Micah has had one before and Mason has had quite a few. On Sunday morning, the infected part was only the size of about a quarter and it had drained, and we were thinking it was almost healed. By the time we got home after church it was much bigger, and then by the time Micah woke up from her nap, the infection was half way down her leg. We quickly put her in the bath to see if it would drain, and I called the doctor. I thought we would have to go to urgent care to get it drained.

By the time I got off the phone with him, I was in tears. He said we need to get to the ER immediately and that she would probably be admitted for a couple of days. I quickly threw some things in a bag, and Craig stayed with Mason. We got the ER, and they took us back immediately. Everything happened so fast, and before I knew it, my baby had an IV, we were being admitted, and they said she would be having surgery the next morning...Surgery? We went from getting ready to go to our home group to our baby was having surgery!

Of course, when it is your baby you mind takes off and you can only think of the what ifs.... I was really afraid she might be allergic to the anesthesia because she has so many allergies, and she was not.  We were worried for her, but so loved through it all.

Once I told my mom she was going to be admitted, she was on her way and made it to our house by 10:30. Don't know what we would have done without her... she worked so hard taking care of Mason, washing everything in the house, and even steam cleaning the carpets with Craig. Mason loved having his GiGi here despite the circumstances.

Our church family was unbelievable! On Sunday, Linda was at the hospital within an hour from when I let her know what was going on. Jodi stopped by the house, picked some things up for us, and came to the hospital. Jess came around 9:30 to about 11 to just sit with us. I finally got Micah to sleep around midnight, and they came in to do something around 3. She cried for a while, and went back to sleep, but I couldn't sleep.

So I sent out a text to some of our friends to pray for Micah and her surgery the next morning. Not sure what I was thinking because some people do sleep with there phones right next to them. I think I woke some people up...actually I know I did. At 3:31, received this text back from Pat..."Dear Lord Jesus, please help sweet Micah heal. We need a touch that only you can provide. We trust in  you alone, for you are mighty God. Please give the doctors wisdom. Please help Micah to sleep and keep her from any reactions from any medications. Thank you for this baby. Also, I pray for Chantel's heart, mind, and emotions. Give her strength and peace. We need you Jesus." Exactly what I needed! Pat, Mandy and Jodi where there during the surgery, and many people prayed, came to visit, called or sent us text to see how sweet Micah was doing.  Also, our Sunday School class has brought us meals for two weeks! What a tremendous blessing that has been! We have been loved on so well...thank you!!!

Micah is doing well. Dressing changes are still hard, as she has an open wound that we have to pack with gauze twice a day. She is also on an awful tasting medicine... 7ml 4 times a day...looking forward to be done with that. We keep saying she won't remember all of this, but we will remember the remarkable love and support we have felt during this stressful time. Here are a couple of pictures from my phone... we will want to see these one day.
The hospital gown didn't work for her...
Mommy looks rough...looks harder on Mommy than sweet Micah! We were in the elevator being taken to our room.

Yes I slept in there with her to get her to sleep the 1st night...yes I fit:-)
Much better crib picture... 1st morning home in her own bed...happy girl1
You wouldn't know she had just had surgery a couple of days ago...
Cutest thing in her swimsuit even though she couldn't get in the water...she didn't care, she just wanted to practice walking.
We have a walker...more on that later!
Some more pictures off my phone before the surgery...letting my little boy be a boy...splashing in a dirty puddle.
Micah and mommy at kiddie park...such a fun time with Mandy, Linda, and all our little ones.
Mason at his end of the year program... try finding him:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment