Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How things change...

This morning when I was getting ready so we could go to the doctor, I was thinking about how things change with a newborn. First of all, I started getting ready at 9:30 to leave the house at 11:15 and just barely got everything done in time. Before Mason, I would have started at 10:45. Secondly, Mason was "asleep, but not really asleep" when I was trying to blow dry my hair. Every time I turned off the blow dryer, I was just hoping I wouldn't hear him crying. Then there was such a relief when he wasn't, so I could finish fixing my hair.

I was also thinking of the excitement when I hear Mason wake up in the middle of the night, and I look at the clock and I got three straight hours of sleep. Before Mason, I was disappointed with anything less than 8.

Today, we went to the mall for the first time, and shopping has definitely changed. I really thought he would sleep the entire time, but he was tired of being in his car seat and was ready to go home. We had already been to the doctor and out to lunch with Craig. Our trip was cut short and everything we bought was for Craig.

Just to try on a shirt for me was quite an ordeal. I kept running Mason's stroller into everything which would startle him... Macy's is not stroller friendly! Then I wasn't happy with how things fit. At the doctor today I learned that I still have a ways to go in getting back to where I was. I have lost 34 of the 50 pounds I gained, so I have about 16 to go. I am not so worried about the numbers, I just want to fit in my clothes. It has only been a month so I am trying to be patient!

All that to say, things have changed, but definitely worth it! I wouldn't change it for the world. Here is our precious boy after a day of shopping and errands with his mommy. Now he is sleeping...

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand about just wanting your clothes to fit! My tummy has just never been the same, even when I'm within just a few pounds of pre-pregnancy weight! But just be proud of what your body did - it grew an amazing human being, so we should cut it some slack. :) Those last few pounds will definitely melt away, but patience is key after that first hunk of weight comes off.

    Your post reminded me of a card I bought for you after I found out you guys were pregnant. I have been meaning to send it - I will tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You described it so well (no it doesn't get any easier with subsequent kids LOL). I have always wanted to start a support group for first time moms because it's such a HUGE life change... I think that you just have no clue until you have lived it. I remember being up with Aiden and thinking to myself, "how in the world am I even functioning right now" LOL! I think I had only had 2 hours of sleep. God really made us moms tough and able to go through SO much!

    Oh and you are doing amazing with your weight loss. I noticed with all my kids, that it took a good two months for my hips to get back to normal (they spread during pregnancy) and that affected the way my clothes fit, way more then the numbers on the scale.

    ReplyDelete